Saturday, June 3, 2023

Blog 365 ~ GABBF Run for the Brass race re-cap ~ Parade ~ #Streak day 3

 

Early Morning Start...
Great American Brass Band Run for the Brass 10K-5K-1 Miler this morning. I've been So EXCITED about this event. The race was 'given' to Apex Promoz [from past RD] to organize and to hopefully keep it going for our town and be a part of the GABBF weekend festivities. I secretly had a goal of getting 215 signed up and ended up with 196 which was 104 MORE than last year. Swag for the race was a 60''x70'' Beach towel with the GABBF logo along with photos taken by yours truly...
Previous years you got either a t-shirt or small towel [bad decision on my part] BUT it also depended on whatever budget/money there was allotted.

This year everyone that crossed the finish line received a medal...
You also received a medal [silver/gold/bronze] if you placed in age group.
Finisher medals are new this year. The last couple of years they have been given left-over medals that were glass, which don't get me wrong they were nice...for the first year. Not for consecutive years.
One year only 1st place winners were given [current year] GABBF lapel pins--2nd/3rd place got whatever year available, AND they ONLY gave age group awards. So I feel 'we' Apex & I have done a good thing with awards & unique swag.

'My' Apex connection for the race wasn't able to attend in person for the race and asked someone else to be in-charge. SIL [his] Jennifer, along with Fizzy Ramsey, [and not sure who the fella was sorry] has stepped upped before and today was no exception. They did a Great job fielding questions & helping runner/walkers get stuff and give directions for the course. Though I'm not sure who marked the course, apparently the 5K portion was not 😬correct. This created a looonger 3.1. Most runners ended up with 3.6/3.75 miles [a couple did 4+]. In order to make light of a situation and with the heat coming on I told those who commented that we weren't going to charge them for the extra milage...some chuckled/laughed...some didn't Oops! The 10K course was marked OK, but the water stop was at mile 4....as hot as it got so quickly this morning [or for any 10K] they need to be at every mile 1.2/1.5 and there needs to be at least a couple of stops. Though they had bottled water at the stops, there probably should have been small bottles. Running with a full-size bottle is difficult....At least there was Water on the course. On a previous year there wasn't not-nary-a-drop of water on the course and a runner suffered heat stroke. Miscommunication regarding the Myrtle Beach prize drawing was so disappointing....😞. So now there will be a 'blind' drawing and the winner will be emailed....another one of those things on my to-do-better-next-year list.
The timing management company wasn't one that I do race events with so hearing them announce over the PA 'sorry folks we don't have anything to do with marking the courses' MULITABLE times to me was totally unacceptable. And not very considerate for the persons working the race. I mean come On....then only to have them announce where to find Apex email & phone number to file complaints. Very Un-Professional! 
Walkers/Runners have posted on their social media their displeasure about the race, and that's fine. Fine and Dandy !! But I will venture to guess NONE of them have attempted to organize a race event, and NO ONE is willing to step up to the plate to Help, let alone go out looking for sponsors. 
That's a bit of re-cap//race rant so here's the link for photos from the race...

Run for the Brass 5K results HERE

Run for the Brass 10K results HERE

**********
Immediately after the race I went to see the hub's as he got me pancakes from one of the fundraiser tents downtown. Even with them slightly warm I was famished and happy to have them....
Afterwards I started taking pictures of the GABBF parade, you can find them HERE. It was a Long morning...I did however get to see the kid & G'kid and my friend Linda took a selfie of us.
She stayed and worked the Pepsi tent for the festival going on at Centre College campus.

**********
I came home after the parade and started on the photos for the race, and gave lot's of thoughts/considerations regarding what I would blog post about...while finishing my thought process I went for day 3 of #streakingwiththeCOOLKIDS

Time for shower, dinner, then a little TV before going to bed--early tonight, it's been a long day!



















No comments:

Post a Comment