Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Derby Half Re-Cap!!

As promised here's a re-cap of the Derby Half Marathon that some of my runner kids competed in. Of course the day starts EARLY...Like getting up at 3:30 in the AM early. We live close to Louisville so we saved the money from getting a hotel room and drove up the morning of the race. It was a short ride for me...LOL I slept for part of the drive. Working so much during the week had caught up with me on top of working late the night before the race.
I went prepared for rain, I had my book, some water and snacks, and a blanket for warmth this Momma was ready!! Guess what? Didn't use anything in my stash. Katrina went along with Sheri so we hung out together while the kids ran....a nice surprise for me. We arrived at the Galt House to meet up with as many of the runners as we could, after of course pictures, we headed to the start line. Even though I'm pretty good about spotting Bobbie during races I found myself studying her attire, I was getting her picture if it was the last thing I did! (the race was sold Out!)
Admittedly I was apprehensive about the race. Not long ago as the nation watched Boston Marathon runners crossing the finish line only to witness explosions, Yes People, Bombs were set off near the finish line of the race.
As a Mom to not only a daughter and SIL that runs but also a 'runner Mom' too many other runners, was shocked and appalled to say the least. My mind went all over the place with the Why's. Why did someone need to do such a thing? Why are there people in this world that could do this?
What a lot of people don't know is that the Derby Marathon is one of the races that is a qualifier for Boston...and my runner kids were doing the half that shares the same finish line.
I already knew that 1 'bomber' was killed and the other had already been captured but that didn't stop me from saying yet again a prayer for not just my awesome group of kids, but for every one competing. I caught myself tearing up as I seen all the security around, thanking them as I stood at crosswalks watching all of the runners pass by. Katrina and I went and found a coffee shop then went to the 12 mile mark to wait for the kids to pass through and of course get more pictures, we already had a 'finish' point for after the race to meet up before heading home. I was able to see all my kids after they finished to again give them hugs and kisses for yet another race well done, and safe trips back home....please enjoy photos of my kids!
 
meeting up at the Galt House

several of my kids were accepted into 'Team Beef'

we met up with Jenica (in gray) on the way, she's just the cutest!

Check this Out!!
18,000 people and look who I see..
My Baby, I'm I the Mom or what?

Jason Todd, seems surprised to see me...

Ricky Lane, he's in pain...

Michelle Gilbert:), focused on her running.... 

Jenna Ellsworth with her Uncle Todd Kirkpatric

I was talking with a little girl and her mom and almost missed my own...oops!

there's my Boy!  well my SIL Gerard Perkins that is...

Jennifer Gover, she's still going strong!

Sheri  Satterly, this is her first long race,
she had a baby less than a year ago...
got'ta give her credit!

Judy in the purple tank top..

Angela Todd, again Jason always goes back for his wifey,
I Love that about him...
 
 
I will be posting a bit more as the Wilderness Series is starting this weekend with the Shakertown race, it's rained during this race for the past 3 years so I'm getting the rain gear ready and will post as soon as I can!  Happy and Safe running to all and remember...
 
 
arunnersmom~that's what I am!


No comments:

Post a Comment